The Phoenician Route
The Phoenicians’ Route aims to foster Mediterranean intercultural dialogue, sharing the values of the Council of Europe, especially human rights and democracy. Established in many non-European countries, including several places of conflict, the routes help to promote freedom of expression, equality, freedom of conscience and religion, and the protection of minorities. This network is a way to work together for the development of peace and mutual respect in the Mediterranean.
The LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation, in its capacity as an active member of the scientific committee with the Confederation of the Council of Europe, will seek to sustain the development of the project according to protocols that include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- Scientific and creative role: mapping and defining the Phoenician Cultural Heritage Route within and among Lebanese cities and providing studies and descriptions of monuments (Assist Documentation according to the Hague Convention).
- Academic and communicative role: training local communities and providing interdisciplinary expertise to:
- Foster the preservation of cultural heritage by providing prevention know-how against damage to cultural heritage, in support of law enforcement agencies.
- Provide training programs for cultural heritage awareness, offering specialized competencies and targeted curricula.
- Increase public participation by means of the latest technologies and tools to enhance public involvement.
- Promote intercultural dialogue.
- Develop Information Technology centers and/or tourism centers within relevant municipalities that would cater to cultural tourism activities in Lebanon to promote the protection of archaeological sites and the preservation of historical buildings and monuments.
The International Confederation, Contact, How to Adhere
The interested bodies should:
This application will be verified by the International Scientific Committee that will express its opinion within 30 days from the transmission of the documents, specifying also witch Confederation Network (territorial network/thematic network) should be in charge of the candidate body.
Those who can adhere to the Cultural Route “The Phoenicians’ Route” are: public territorial subjects, private citizens, chamber of commerce and other entities that bring together territorial bodies that works for the valorization of cultural, tangible and intangible, natural heritage of the Mediterranean and linked to the Ancient Civilizations of the Mediterranean with their sites, or having historical-cultural relationships with these Mediterranean civilizations, with the Mediterranean Intercultural Dialogue and of sustainable and responsible tourism.