Activities and Exhibitions
The LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation is temporarily closed due to the Corona virus COVID-19 outbreak in the country, the foundation is shifting to provide online cultural tourism, visits and exploration of Lebanon’s cultural heritage sites and cities. Yes indeed, we are still committed to share our fascinating history.
There are many ways you can stay engaged with us during this time. Find us on social media at Facebook and Instagram and catch up on videos and information from our latest activities and projects, and explore the foundation’s online Smart Ways-Lebanon and our international connections and exhibitions and extensive museum collections announce by our international partners.
Our LAU- Louis Cardahi Foundation administration will continue to monitor the situation and update the website and social media regarding our plans to re-open.
- June 11-13, 2020: The Future of Historic Places in Conflict - Tangible and Intangibles
- October 24-25, 2019: XII Euro Mediterranean Dialogue GENERAL ASSEMBLY 2019, “Cultural Tourism in the Mediterranean Scenario …on the Phoenicians’ Route” (video - action plan - declaration - agenda).
- October 14-16, 2019: “Disaster Risk Reduction to Protect Natural and Cultural Heritage” at The Center for the Preservation and Protection of Cultural Heritage (CPCH) and Exhibition of the Enhanced Protection Cultural Heritage Sites - Lebanon:
- List of heritage sites requested for special protection in Lebanon
- Blue Shield - Lebanon
- Lebanese Committee for the Blue Shield (LCBS) Brochure (Arabic)
- Lebanese Committee for the Blue Shield (LCBS) Brochure (English)
- September 27, 2019: “The Phoenician Alphabet”:
- - Exhibition by Mrs. Nayla Romanos Iliya, Phoenician Alphabet Series
- Lecture by Dr. Marc Abou Abdallah, Invention of the Alphabet
August 3, 2019: The 124th Anniversary of the Beirut-Sham Train Railway, in Rayak Train Station, at 5:00 pm.
June 4-7, 2019: Cultural Routes: Newsroom‘The Hansa’ to host the 2019 Training Academy on Cultural Routes in Visby, Gotland (Sweden).
- May 6-10, 2019: A call for papers is now open to the “Sense and Sustainability” International Conference on Archaeology and Tourism that will be held from the 6 till 10th of May in Zagreb, Croatia. The conference is bringing some of the most renowned speakers in the industry, along with a rich scientific and social program.Smart Ways Lebanon by the Phoenicians’ and the Umayyad Routes
- March 27, 2019: “Rotot, Mediterranean Routes Through Intercultural Dialogue”, a seminar organised by Inizjamed, member of our International Confederation, in collaboration with our Cultural Route, and addresses how different local realities can be brought together to reflect a wider, more common Mediterranean reality, or set of realities, that inter-relate with one another. The aspect of the Phoenicians being a sort of mythical, legendary archetype of common Mediterranean roots that however still inspires many cultural operators in seeking exchange through Intercultural Dialogue, as opposed to neocolonial and neoliberal economic measures, will provide us with a framework to which all of our speakers can relate to - this is so because in some way or another they either address this aspect through their work, or in a way act as contemporary Phoenicians, so to speak.
With Mario Gerada chairing, Prof. Rachid Chamoun, our President and Director of LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation, Dr. Antonio Barone, our Director, Prof. Osama Hamdan, Director of Mosaic Centre Jericho مركز الفسيفساء أريحا, and Noureddine Ezarraf, engaged artist from Casablanca. The event is supported by the Centre for the Study and Practice of Conflict Resolution, the Department of International Relations, the Department of Maltese and the Institute for Tourism, Travel and Culture at the University of Malta.
- January 9-11, 2019: In collaboration with the Ministry of Tourism, LCF will be hosting A FESTIVAL of INTERCULTURAL DIALOGUE ON THE PHOENICIANS’ ROUTE – Kick off meeting of the international committee of the Phoenicians’ Route in the framework of the European Year of Cultural Heritage. Beirut and Byblos, Lebanon. (Phoenician Route Banner).
- November 17, 2018: Cultural Art Concert “From Carthage to Tyre”, in the monastery of the castle, Beit Meri. (video one - video two - poster).
- October 15, 2018: Discovery trip of the Roman road in the southern region of Jbeil, organized by the NGO “Via…EXCURSION “ORIENTAL VIA APPIA”
- October 08–11, 2018: General Assembly of the Phoenicians’ Route - Zagreb (Croatia). The role of the Interpretation Center in Byblos along the Phoenician’s Route.
Smart Ways: Best Practice in Lebanon to Riding the Phoenician Wave (view program).
Dr. Rachid Chamoun
Director of the LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation
Member of the Scientific Committee of the Phoenician’s Route
- July 16-22, 2018: LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation promotes The Umayyad Route Museum at the World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Seville, Spain. The program will be posted soon.
- June 19-21, 2018, Study Days: Cortana - Naples - Jaen - Dialogue Euro-Mediterranean - Iberian and Etruscan in the Ancient Mediterranean Sea Following the Phoenician’s Route Between Archaeological Investigation, Cultural Itineraries and Tourist Promotions in partnership with LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation. (view program).
- May 20,2018: Imagine building a trireme out of used plastic bottles. Now, imagine seeing this ship sailing from Byblos, the famous Phoenician port, following the historical shoreline route all the way to Beirut.
Lebanese American University (LAU) in partnership with NGO Chreek and high school students from across Lebanon. LAU Cardahi Foundation participated in the posters design and display of the Phoenician’s route history and cultural itinerary in Lebanon.
Highlights of this initiative:
1. Celebrating Lebanon’s heritage
2. Raising awareness on the environment and the importance of recycling and upcycling
3. Raising our children with a sense of belonging and enhancing community relations
4. Placing Lebanon on the map by constructing the biggest Phoenician ship ever built out of bottles
- May 15, 2018: Launching ceremony of the LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation in Jbeil downtown.
- March 16, 2018: The meeting of the Phoenicians’ Route International Scientific Committee and the International Workshop “2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage” In collaboration with the Rotary Club of Castelvetrano, Marinella di Selinunte (Sicily) (Newsletter).
- October 26 to 28, 2017: V FÓRUM MELILLA 2017, CIUDADES Y TERRITORIOS CREATIVOS DE ESPAÑA,“Melilla, la Puerta del Mediterráneo Sustainable and Creative Tourism and Intercultural Dialogue in the Mediterranean.
- October 9, 10, 11, 2017: exhibition and lecture promoting LCF at the X Euro - Mediterranean Dialogue” Celebration of the XXX Anniversary of the Council of Europe Cultural Routes Program” “From Lebanon to Spain on the Phoenicians’ Route “and General Assembly 2017, Jaén - Spain.
- October 5th, 2017: Exhibition and lecture promoting LCF” Cultural Heritage Activities for the safeguarding of Byblos Cultural Heritage”. Conservation and sustainability of the Euro-Mediterranean Cultural Heritage. 20 YEARS of THE ROUTES OF EL LEGADO ANDALUSÍ, “Cultural Route of the Council of Europe” Madinat al-Zahra (Cordoba), “Protection and Conservation in UNESCO World Heritage Sites”.
- May, 21 – 25, 2017: LAU - Louis Cardahi Foundation and Museum promotes Cultural Heritage and sustains an Interactive Network of Historical Cities in Lebanon and abroad, during the 8th International Conference on Science and Technology in Archaeology and Conservation (STAC 8) in Amman, Jordan.
- April 24, 2017: LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation and Museum was promoted at the LAU - Byblos, Exhibition UN - NYC.
- March 23, 2017: During the Phoenician route visit to the LAU - Louis Cardahi Foundation in collaboration with the Lebanese Tourism Guides Syndicate, collaboration initiative with the foundation was launched to contribute to the sustainability of the “Phoenician route”. Ancient Mediterranean Days. Tour in Lebanon, on the Phoenicians’ Route.
- December 19, 2016: During the steering committee meeting and final conference of the Umayyad project, the project partners inaugurated the Umayyad digital museum at the LAU-Louis Cardahi Foundation and Museum.
- April 24, 2016: Dr. Rachid Chamoun, Director of LAU - Louis Cardahi Foundation was elected as an official member of the Scientific Committee of the Cultural Route of the Council of Europe “The Phoenicians’ Route”. The Scientific Committee, composed of 5 experts in the fields of Tourism, Culture and Local Development, will undertake on behalf of the Phoenicians’ Route, scientific assistance in the evaluation of applications for new adhesion to the Route, as well as performing an advisory role about its activities, if the Management considers it essential.
- Phoenician Alphabet Series by Mrs. Nayla Romanos Iliya (September 2019)
- Byblos Photograhy Exhibition by Paul Zgheib and Pierre Daou (June 1997)
- Sculpture Exhibition “Phoenician Spirit” by Nabil Basbous (July 1996)
- Painting Exhibitions about Byblos (by Joseph Matar, Samira Nehme, Father Jean Jabbour, Chucrallah Fattouh, Antoine Matar and others) (May 1996)